9/2/10

Rust run amok

Never had to pickle oxidized metals.  Usually, if a piece keeps darkening, it gets even better. Had an unusual effect on one set of earrings, though. It continued to oxidize even after I took the pictures. And not blacken, but rust.
Before Oxidizing:
After Oxidizing:
After a couple weeks:
Are You the River or the Thing That Makes the River's Face So Still.I could have tried to clean it up, but I got lazy and just took new pictures. I guess they're too rusty, but I don't hate 'em.

4 comments:

Penelope said...

D'you know what I'd do? Make little soldered teeth from smoky quartz, clip half the metal mesh off and hang the teeth from that. Balances the rust. I like them this rusty but I'm a weirdo!

Jennifer Valentine Morford said...

I love them. In fact, had my eye on them too. I love them rusty!

Unknown said...

Yes, rusty is cool. Plated stuff usually rusts if exposed to a chemical solution. Can I ask what you use to oxidize?

They're a beautiful composition, the beaded rings almost like buckles for the tattered remnants.

fanciful devices said...

they are buckles! thanks jenny and missf. sparrow- hu?! whu? sounds like a lotta work for someone w/o a civil engineering degree...
miss f- i use novacan.