3/12/15

What do you have to show for yourself?

A Thousand Hearts. Rough raw RUBIES salvaged tin ring, vertical.
A Thousand Hearts, vertical.
I don't have a ton to show for myself during the time since last post. I've been working on a lot of components so that means less finished pieces. Oh and also not working. A lot of that.
A Thousand Hearts. Rough raw RUBIES salvaged tin ring, horizontal.
A Thousand Hearts, horizontal.
Here, real rubies in crusty tin box bezel rings, revisiting an old design I meant to try variations on ages ago...
Spinning. Rustic assemblage earrings with urchin spines.
Spinning.
These are way cooler in real life as the danglies hang like some kinda fancy spinning chandelier carousels.
Where You Fear to Live. Chunky rustic assemblage cluster pendant necklace.
Where You Fear to Live.
That central piece of hardware is called a gas key. The giant seal tooth and quartz crystal are from Uruguay.
Stories. Rustic salvaged tin earrings.
Stories.
Tin babies.
Prize Inside. Rustic assemblage earrings with king cake figurine trinket toys.
Prize Inside.
These sold already, sorry.
Djenné. Ancient beads in caged earrings with cultured pearls.
Djenné.
Made a couple more of these guys.
Djenné. Ancient beads in caged earrings with labradorite.
Djenné.
Cuz they're popular yeah...
What else do I have to say for myself? Do you need to be told I need a root canal or that I spent the weekend with niece/nephew in Wisconsin? That my new fitness meant I could play with them without running out of breath? Ooo I know, how about random piles from my messy work table?
 Earring bits
 Oh which one of you lovely ladies sent me the sea glass bottle sections? As you can see above I've started forming them into bracelet sections. First I had to cut them into reasonable shapes with my awesome flex shaft but I put that off forever so you proly forgot you even sent these to me...
Oh, crappy news! Michael's has stopped carrying the cheap mosaic sea glass that I basically based my whole Starry Shards tute around! So do I stop offering it? It still works with regular found glass or whatever you can get for not that much on ebay, its just that it references that damned kind you could get in Michael's. And I can't edit the tute cuz my computer is now officially too old for Drop Box to acknowledge its existence. It's a Mac so it still works fine... But you know you're getting old when you're like, "But I just got it nine years ago!"
 Bailed rough crystals, etc from Uruguay.
 Middle Eastern theengs.
 BEEEEEEEEEEEEADS!
 I got the craziest heat patinas on these rings. Like, that's not brass or gold, it just turned matte yellow under the torch.
 More random crap.
Moving on to my mom's favorite part of my blog...
Stop and look at what these crows are doing. No really.

Sneezing cat:

Itching-for-a-fight hedgehog:

Teamwork:

Oh also I got a long comment from Jessica Wooten a few posts back. I will tell you and anyone any and all my "secrets," just etsy convo me since I don't want to dedicate posts to stuff I've already explained. But I love when people ask how I do stuff it makes me feel important.

4 comments:

Saraccino said...

Okay... I now know tht I not only can't get enough pictures from your work... I also enjoy so much seeing your worktable. And honestly... still looks somehow organized! I have seen worse (also on my own worktable).

My absolute favorite earrings are "spinning". They are just stunning in every way!

Beatnheart said...

You see. this is what separates you from some people who do think they're special...who think they invented wire wrapping or some other ancient technique that's been around for ions...YOU SHARE..YOU ARE KIND...YOU DON'T HURT OTHERS by calling them copycats...you encourage and support...a real sister in every sense of the word...I love you Marina and I will shout it from the roof tops...This woman deserves every wonderful thing in the universe.

and besides you really did invent most of these techniques...

I thank my lucky stars for the day I found you in this sea of medicore...you are the real deal...

darlene said...

i sent the shards some time back after a conversation about you wanting to try them for the starry nights treatment. looks like it's working! xoxo

Anneenomouse said...

I've officially decided you are my teacher. I'm haunting your blog, going back in archives to become immersed in your crazy unfettered rampant creativity. I'm too old to have such a young teacher but I'm very fettered & unrampant & reading & looking at your work is oddly so relaxing & helps start to smash creative blocks lurking around in my dusty brain.
Thanks teach!
p.s. Also of course I want to continue to collect your artwork!